Monday, May 8, 2017

There and Back Again

Every May I venture southeastward over the Cascades to visit family in the Tri-Cities (Richland, Kennewick, Pasco), and I have just got back from this year's adventure.

It's a bit over 200 miles one-way and if you don't stop, and don't drive slowly, it takes 3-1/2 hours.  It takes me four hours, so you can probably guess how that happens.

I headed over on Tuesday.  Here is the view of the Cascades from my favorite rest area on I-90, Indian John Hill:


There was a lot of snow in the mountains, and on the pass summit at Snoqualmie there were huge banks of snow alongside the highway.  It was 38 degrees up there at 11 in the morning.

On the other side of the mountains, it was a different story -- here is the Columbia River Gorge just past Vantage:


Completely different country, and over 60 degrees just fifty miles away from the summit.

I stopped at the Vernita rest area where I admired this pair of Brewer's Blackbirds:


The final stretch of the drive is thirty miles of flatness.  It looks like this:


In the early afternoon I arrived in Richland for a five-day stay.  Naturally, the first thing I did on Wednesday morning was go out to find something to draw.   The Columbia is a popular river cruise spot, and Richland is one of the stops on the route.  I found two ships tied up at the docks:


I decided to sketch just the smaller one:


Then Truman and I walked along the trail for a while.  Or rather, I walked and he strolled.


Or he sat around looking bored while I drew another view.




Across from the parking lot I found a third subject -- an art gallery building:


That was it for our exciting Wednesday adventures.  Stay tuned for more fun from the Tri-Cities!

No comments:

Post a Comment