Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Neighborhood Explorations: More of Meadowbrook

On Monday, Truman and I made another of our neighborhood explorations in nearby Meadowbrook -- we began at 40th Ave NE and NE 105th, strolled south to 96th, then west to 32nd, and back north to 105th to return to our starting point.

The first thing of interest we spied was this front-yard chicken coop:


Not too much farther along we found the fanciest "little free library" stand we've seen so far on our expeditions.



Next, we discovered some lovely ceramic and glass garden decor.



On my city map, the block between 97th and 96th was marked by dashes.   I figured that meant the street ended and something non-vehicular took its place.  Indeed, we found a lovely pedestrian path between homes on one side and a ravine on the other.  Truman boldly traversed it.


On the other side, I spotted this front garden that I admired quite a lot:


The sky had been sunny and full of big white clouds, with a brisk breeze.  Suddenly, a dark gray cloud moved in and rain began spattering us.  Luckily, we were right across the street from a church, which upon investigation, turned out to have a covered patio with chairs.  Very handy!  We rested until the rain stopped -- which was only about five minutes.


As we turned round to head back north, I heard an interesting call and saw an interestig bird zip up to a telephone pole.  I was delighted to see it was a Red-breasted Sapsucker!  A lovely surprise.


As we traveled along 32nd, we saw a lot of green space ahead.  It turned out to be a community orchard, which also has large grassy meadows.  It backs up behind the community center.  I was too tired to explore it all this time, so I'll plan a return visit.


And those were the highlights of our Meadowbrook exploration.

There are two more photos, though, because yesterday while driving home from the University district, I remembered to stop in Wedgwood to check out the big rock there.  I'd read about it recently and after a winding path through narrow streets, I managed to find it.  Well, it was kind of hard to miss.


It sits right in the middle of a residential area.  It's an erratic, left behind by a glacier.  Truman was perfect for providing a sense of scale.


And that's all for our recent adventures!

3 comments:

  1. You have some lovely neighborhoods in your neck of the woods. That little free library was quite cute. Are you sure that big old rock was left behind by a glacier and not by a Lake Missoula flood? I'm sure the geologists can tell the difference but I sure can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wikipedia says it's a glacial erratic rock. And the Lake Missoula floods didn't come this far. It's pretty cool regardless!

      Delete
    2. Well, yeah there is that. I forgot the floods went up and not down LOL. I'm seriously senile. It's a very cool rock.

      Delete