Thursday, April 21, 2016

Unexpected Appearance of a Bird Guide Author

The field guide that I see most birders using is written and illustrated by David Sibley, a fine fellow indeed.  I got to attend a reading by him in 2010, when I got my field guide signed.  Then about two years ago, I had the further treat of being co-leader of an exclusive field trip around the Montlake Fill in which he was the guest of honor.  I got to speak longer with him one-on-one, and it was a lovely experience.

A new, second edition of his famous field guide has just been released, and he's doing a book tour.  He was here in Seattle yesterday, and decided to pop in to the Seattle Audubon Nature Shop for an unscheduled book signing (his scheduled one was downtown, where I had no plans to go).  The surprise stop was announced only a few hours in advance so only those lucky folks who saw it in time and had a weekday afternoon off work (or were retired!) could go.  I was one of them!

Waiting in line...


Getting closer...


Success!


He is very consistent -- on left is the guide he signed in 2010 with new one on the right.


And this is why I needed the new version -- the old one is a bit worn out.


I wonder how long it will take for the nice new shiny guide to wind up looking like the old one?




1 comment:

  1. Well that was very lucky of you! He just looks like a nice fellow. Glad you got the new guide. I'm sure it won't take you long at all to wear it out!

    ReplyDelete