Thursday, March 2, 2017

Magnuson Park wetlands

Yesterday Truman and I went for a walk at Magnuson Park ponds and for once, I got him to walk around the place without his stroller.  He did balk a few times, but with a bit of encouragement, he managed to get moving.  Slowly.




There were quite a few good ducks on the ponds.  Here is a pair of Ring-necked Ducks:


And these are Hooded Mergansers:


There was quite a crowd -- Gadwalls, Ring-necked Ducks, Buffleheads galore:


It is slowly warming up here though, and once Spring truly arrives, all except the resident Gadwalls will wing their way north.

Back home we had nice birds, too -- a pair of Bewick's Wrens visits the yard regularly, and I never get good photos of them as they don't tend to sit still for long.  Yesterday I managed to snap a couple before they got antsy:



That's all the updates for this week.  The only drawings I've done are practice sketches for an online class I'm taking, Travel Sketching in Mixed Media by Marc Taro Holmes, on craftsy.com -- excellent teacher with challenging material.  I hope I can make good use of some of his techniques.

2 comments:

  1. I like the second photo from the top. Truman seems to be saying, "What's up human? Where the heck is my stroller?" The wren is cool. Those are good shots for a flighty bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wrens will stay put for about ten seconds--and usually it takes me exactly 11 seconds to find my camera, get the lens cap off, and turn it on. This time I happened to have the camera on the coffee table by the front window -- hooray!

      Delete