Monday, March 20, 2017

At the Museum

Saturday it rained all day, so The Northend Sketchers (me, Tina, Nicole) opted for an indoor drawing experience at the Burke Museum (natural history and anthropology).

My first effort, of a wolverine showing a wide-open mouth of ferocious teeth, was not terribly successful.


So I gave up on that and moved on to the nearby "Terror Bird" skeleton, which turned out a bit better (perhaps I'm just  more inspired by birds).


Next I moved on to a lovely Northwest Forest display with an otter -- who can resist an otter?  Now I seemed to be hitting my stride, and I was happy with the resulting sketch.


Then I headed to the anthropology section for my last drawing of the day.  There's a very colorful, life-size exhibit of a Korean wedding ceremony that has always caught my eye on past visits, but I always felt intimidated by its complexity.  Plus the place was usually too crowded to get a good view.  This day, though, the museum had little traffic, and I felt it was time to give it a go.


Yes!  I'll admit to doing a light pencil sketch first to make sure I had everything in the right place (normally I draw directly in ink).  I spent a lot more time on it than I typically do on a drawing, and was very pleased with the effort.

On Sunday the sun came out in all its full glory -- tune in tomorrow for more sketching fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment