For today's Adventure in Art, I took a stab at using pastels (both soft and pencil) which I haven't used before. I had a nice photo of a juvenile Pied-billed Grebe which I chose because it had a limited color palette, on the theory that would be easier when using new materials.
Things started out well, and I liked how easy it was to blend pastels, but I ran into trouble with the bill, where the tiny details were difficult to get right. The pencils did not sharpen well and kept breaking off points, and I didn't have quite the right colors, even blended together, for the bill. Erasing and reworking made it worse, so I had to give up. A good learning experience overall though, and I'll certainly try pastels again.
Also, I got fingerprint smudges everywhere! Should have put a protective sheet down. I do like the way the eye turned out -- quite expressive.