Thursday, August 31, 2017

Super-Duper Mega-Rarity!

I haven't added a new bird to my Life List for a long, long time -- because I don't travel much, and I have a rule (well, more like a guideline) about not chasing a rarity that's more than a 30-minute drive one way.

When I checked my email this morning, I saw a post to the local birding listserv about a Swallow-tailed Gull being seen at Carkeek Park, which is a 20-minute drive one way.

WHOO HOO!


I had to look the bird up, having never heard of it -- it's an equatorial bird that breeds in the Galapagos and isn't supposed to be up this way at all.  This bird is only the third one ever recorded in all of North America!


There was a misty rain with poor visibility, but it's a small beach and I easily spotted the knot of birders lined up with their scopes checking out a large flock of California Gulls.  The Swallow-tailed Gull was easy to spot with its black head as it preened right in the front of the flock.


We all kept pretty far back so as not to startle the flock, so my photos are not as sharp as I'd like, but that's okay.   I'm just delighted that I got to see such a rarity -- by far the rarest bird I've ever chased.  I do hope it figures out how to get back south where it belongs, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment