Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Land of the Moon Snails

On Sunday Tina and I ventured over to Carkeek Park for low-tide fun.


Last month we explored low tide at Richmond Beach, where we saw mostly anemones, crabs, sea cucumbers, and clams.

The Carkeek Park beach had something different.  When I spotted this from a distance, it looked like broken pottery:


But then I saw dozens and dozens of them littering the beach, and they were thin and flexible:


I asked one of the naturalists who educate folks there during low tides, and learned they were egg cases of a creature called a Moon Snail.


The naturalist found an actual, living Moon Snail!


A handy child provided a sense of scale:


That was by far the coolest thing we saw there.

We saw very few anemones -- this was the best one we found:


Meanwhile, the birds were busy plucking up fish:


This gull attracted the unwanted attention of its neighbors:


It tried to fly away with its catch:


After a couple of hours of beachcombing, I took a lunch break on a piece of driftwood which had this lovely view:


Naturally, I had my sketchbook along.


It was a lovely morning for exploring.  For the next low tide we hope to get to Golden Gardens beach to see what might be different there.

No comments:

Post a Comment