Monday, April 8, 2019

Hanging at the Book Shop

There is a used book shop inside the public library here, entirely volunteer-run by the Friends of the Library.


It has a room full of fiction:


And another room for non-fiction:


And here is the section where the volunteers hang out:


I get to volunteer every Monday afternoon, and it is a fun gig.  I get to see all the donated books first, and snag the good stuff.  And I have a partner, Ann, who is entertaining and amusing.  The time flies by.

Whenever someone brings in a donation, I enjoy sorting through it to find the gems, such as this:


I don't get all of the good stuff, though -- things come in on the other days, and customers find them first.  I was most envious when a customer brought this up to the register:


Owls!  Who doesn't love owls?  I tried to talk her out of it, but it was a no-go.  Dang.

Another thing I like to do is flip through books to see if anything is tucked inside.  I found these inside a Greek travel book, and have no idea what they are:


Another score was this copy of Wintergreen, by one of my favorite naturalists, Robert Michael Pyle:


In addition to the Joker playing card, it turned out to be inscribed by the author.  It is now mine.


(To Karen with warmest wishes and hopes that these words from Willapa will lure you down our green way, and give pleasure & heart, from Bob.  Moonrise, June 17, 1989 Lincoln Park State Park)

Another cool find which is not mine (because it was a bit too worn) is this 1952 children's encylopedia, The Book of Knowedge:


It has the coolest endpapers:


In addition to articles on culture and history, each volume contains a section of Things to Make and Things to Do:



Endless entertainment!  Plus it has short stories poems, including this classic:


If it had been in better shape, it would have come home with me.  Oh, well. 

The best thing is that I don't go broke working there -- most books are just one dollar.  Score!

So that's my volunteer gig report.  I may do more reports whenever we get more fun stuff.

In the meantime, for the dachshund lovers out there, here is Pippin taking ownership of the new recliner.  As soon as it was delivered, he just hopped right up there and staked his claim.  Good boy!


1 comment:

  1. Those book finds are pretty cool. I'm not sure what the Greek stuff is either - maybe transit receipts of some kind? And "Wintergreen" would make a nice gift to someone you know named Karen - LOL. Glad you're having fun there.

    ReplyDelete