Monday, October 2, 2017

Going for a Walk

Going for a walk can be ordinary or surprising, and this past week I've had mostly the latter, which is always more fun.

Most mornings, if it's not pouring rain, Truman and I take an hour-long walk, often just around the neighborhood.  But one day, on a whim, I drove to Shoreline to explore a random neighborhood there instead.  I was surprised to encounter a bunch of garden stepping stones for sale:


This was in front of a home, with no one about, just a sign suggesting $10 for the stepping stones and $20 for more complex pieces, with a lock box to drop the money in -- all on the honor system.



Naturally, I could not resist this one:


I also picked up this one:


You just never know where randomness will take you.

Another day, I decided to go to Lake Forest Park Town Center and walk from there to Log Boom Park in Kenmore, which is one mile (one way).  This time I was surprised by a sandy beach that I never knew you could access -- I've always driven to the park and you can't see the beach access from the parking lot.



We continued on down to the pier for some lovely views of Lake Washington.




There were cormorants hanging out on the broken piers.



Truman and Pippa enjoyed the sunshine -- we've been having a last fling at summer.



On Saturday we headed to the Montlake Fill to see if Connie was there.


Pippa, by the way, found her forever home and went off to her adopted family on Sunday, so this was her last visit to the Fill.



We found Connie, along with another birding friend, Inge, and we had a fine time birding and chatting all morning long.



I got in a quick sketch while Connie scanned the skies for birds.


And surprise -- she found a juvenile Northern Shrike!  This predatory songbird is a rare visitor to the Fill, and quite a wonderful bird to see. 


Truman, of course, just wanted to know when we could go home.


We did not go home -- instead, I took him and Pippa straight from the Fill to the Shoreline Farmer's Market so I could stock up on dog treats.


Those were the highlights of a lovely Indian Summer week!

No comments:

Post a Comment