Monday, October 23, 2017

Mostly At The Zoo

The past week was mostly rainy and gray and uninspiring.  I read a lot.  I went on walks around the neighborhood wearing waterproof clothes.  I even did some housecleaning.  You know the weather is bad when I am reduced to cleaning stuff.

I did manage to get two watercolor paintings done during the week.  One afternoon the sunlight was trying to break through the storm clouds, and I tried to capture the trees at my neighbor's home as I sat comfortably on my sofa:

Winston was visiting that day, and the sofa was truly a very lovely place to be:


The next day I went out in the rain to find an autumn leaf to paint, using a mostly wet-in-wet process:


On the weekend I got out once with Tina -- we went to the Woodland Park Zoo.  I was amused by this sign, which conveys a message that one would think was rather obvious:


Do not touch the grizzly bear, either, especially when he's napping.



We were delighted to learn that a new snow leopard cub had recently been born -- a delightful little boy, seen here with his mama:



This Komodo Dragon did not want to be sketched and moved away from the window as soon as I arrived:

So I sketched some of the zoo grounds and buildings while we took a brief rest break:


We visited some of the primates, who were definitely moving around too quickly for sketching.


Luckily, we then checked in on the penguins, who had recently been fed and were just standing around quietly:


It is supposed to be sunny and in the low 60s today and tomorrow -- I hope to get out and about.

2 comments:

  1. I really like the "neighbor's trees" painting; it's got great informal balance and I like the rhythm of the angled branches. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete