Monday, January 17, 2022

Yes, it really looked like that

 Sometimes when I post drawings from our Zoom sketch sessions, people scratch their heads and ask, "Did the original actually look that weird?"  Well, I do aim for accurate reproductions, but yes, sometimes the photo refs we choose to work with are downright odd.

For example, last week we did a Blue-footed Booby.  My drawing turned out like this:


If that isn't weird, I don't know what is.  But just so you know, yes, it really looked like that.  Here is the photo we used -- obviously the shot was taken at a bizarre angle, and to me it looks as if the bird pulled on a pair of blue, duck-footed Wellies to go walking about in:


It was an awfully amusing photo, and we did have a lot of fun drawing it, but boy howdy, it doesn't look very real.  

Our other effort for the week was perfectly normal, more or less -- this is the skull of payara fish, found in the Amazon, and apparently some sort of piranha.  All I know is that those teeth were quite challenging to paint dark color around:


That was pretty much it for my weekly entertainment, other than a few dog walks.  It has not warmed up enough to go for long walks, still struggling to get above 35 during the day, but I needed to get out due to cabin fever and a desire for exercise that didn't involve walking up and down the hallway in my house fifty times a day.  

So I just bundled up for an Antarctic expedition and headed out to Columbia Point, which was ever so lovely:



The Hounds seemed to enjoy the outing.


We've gotten out and about a few other times, averaging two miles for each little adventure in the frozen wastelands.  Well, okay, it's not as bad as some places, but still.  I WANT SPRING.

That's all there is to post about, so I shall leave you with adorable Pippin pics (sorry to leave out Truman, but he just isn't as cooperative). 


Pippin settles in for an evening of light reading.


Have a good week and stay safe out there!


2 comments:

  1. Say, that Pippin is reading "Imaginary Peaks"! I hope he is enjoying it. (May I steal the photo?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is enjoying it, although he dearly wishes there were photos. Please feel free to use the pic however you want to!

      Delete