Monday, January 10, 2022

Don't Let It Snow

Mostly I have snow pics, because that's what it did for the past week and a half or so.  Snowed.  Annoying stuff, and it kept me from going anywhere.  It's gone now and I do not need anymore of it, thank you very much.

But first, art!  We had three sketch sessions this week (yay).  Recently I ran out of my favorite watercolor paper (Arches 140lb cold press), which I've used nearly all the time for these sessions.  I decided not to buy more until I used up some of the gazillion other materials cluttering up the art closet.  Possibly this was not the brightest idea I've ever had and I'm already missing that paper terribly.  Sigh.

Anyway, this first drawing of an Icelandic scene was done with colored pencils on the special colored pencil paper I use (Strathmore Bristol Vellum):


I guess it turned out okay, more or less, but it took forever to layer all those colors and then blend them and I had to spent another 15-20 minutes or so after our 90-minute Zoom session ended to finish it.  Phooey!

One of the photos we chose to work from was of a gnarled tree trunk.  My interest in drawing trees is virtually nil, so I ignored it entirely and found a nice view of Eilean Donan Castle in Scotland to render instead.  I used my usual ink and watercolor on hot press watercolor paper, which is very smooth (unlike my beloved cold press paper, which has a nice texture). 


Again, it was okay, but not something to get excited about.  Sigh.  

We also drew a broken window, from a black-and-white photograph.  Now, this one I truly enjoyed.  I used the smooth hot press paper for it, and ink pens and brush pens, along with one shade of watercolor (a nice granular gray called Bloodstone Genuine).  I had a blast trying to capture the various textures and tonal values in this piece, and this time the paper worked really well for the subject matter and the media used.


So I liked one of the three pieces.  Well, we shall see what happens with next week's sessions, but at the moment, I'm leaning heavily towards ordering more of my favorite paper.  I miss it!

Okay, on to the snow!

We had a few days of light snow, with only half an inch to an inch, and it was easy to deal with.  But then a week ago it snow heavily overnight and we awoke to find four inches on the ground.  I had to shovel pathways for the Hounds.



Pippin seemed to appreciate my efforts.



I didn't have the energy to clear my driveway or sidewalks, but fortunately, a roving band of enterprising kids with shovels turned up, and did a fine job for only $10 each, plus freshly baked chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.  


The Hounds had to continue making do with their backyard pathways.


But look what a difference one day makes!  This is the same path after 24 hours of 40+ degrees.  Hooray!


The streets are all clear now, and we even got out and about to the riverfront park for a short walk.  It should stay above freezing this coming week, with no precipitation in the forecast.  Whew.

Which means I have no reason to postpone my Thursday dental cleaning appointment.  Dang.

Have a great week out there, everyone, and may your Winter be treating you kindly!


No comments:

Post a Comment