Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Birds galore

Yesterday morning I walked through the Montlake Fill on my way in to work, where I spied Connie Who Practically Lives There.  She showed me an Anna's Hummingbird on her nest:


I couldn't find it again on the walk home -- it's very well hidden!  But I did find Great Blue Herons galore -- they do seem to be nesting on the campus again, as there was a heron about every fifty feet.  This one ignored the Canada Goose landing nearby:


Just hanging out, not much bothered by people strolling past....


Here a heron, there a heron, everywhere a heron...or two....


And then as I was zooming in on one of them, a cyclist came round the bend and startled the bird into flight -- and I pushed the shutter before I could zoom out.  This is what I got:


Heron feet!  Aren't they fabulous?

Not too much farther along, another heron took off while I wasn't zoomed in, so I was able to get a proper take-off shot:


What a beautiful place, full of wonderful birds.


4 comments:

  1. Those herons are definitely cool - feet and all. They look so ungainly it's amazing they can fly at all - LOL. I like the shot of the feet - great detail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my coworker's suggestion, I just incorporated the heron feet shot into the sign I post on my door when I'm out of the office...fly fly away!

      Delete
  2. The standing heron is glorious, looks like an official illustration in a book. And the feet are just perfect!

    I haven't figured out how to make your blog tell me that there is a reply to one of my posts here. I'd love to go out with you sometime; obviously this weekend was a bust, but maybe next Sunday? Depending on weather, energy, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever you post a comment, there should be a checkbox in the lower right (in the same line as "publish" "preview" that says "Notify me" and if you check it, you'll get emails when anyone replies. That's the theory, anyway!

      I'll take this discussion to email from here on out.

      Delete