Monday, August 3, 2020

Drawing, Home Decor, and PELICANS!!!

Drawing:  now I am going to have TWO virtual sketching sessions a week, with Tina and Nicole on Thursdays, and one with those two plus Michelle on Fridays.  Yay.  I think.

This past Thursday we chose a complicated staircase at a Japanese garden.  I tried doing it with colored pencil, which I don't think worked all that well, but it wasn't too horrid.  I finished first, so spent another five minutes or so drawing a frame around it, which probably doesn't work that well, either.  So it goes!


On Friday we drew a Colorado River Toad from a photo taken at the Woodland Zoo in Seattle.  This sketch was more successful--this time I used pencil and then added the shading using brush pens.  Brush pens are exactly that--an ink pen with a brush tip.  Some have a smaller, pen point at the opposite end, and most use water-soluble ink.  The brand I use, Tombow, has a range of both warm and cool gray shades from very light to very dark, which worked nicely for this subject.


In my latest home decor effort, I got this cool wall decal from the TV series Doctor Who to put in the dining room.


It's Doctor Who's name spelled in the language of his home planet, Gallifrey.  Very cool.


Finally, PELICANS!!!


I took the Hounds for a stroll in Chiawana Park over in Pasco, because that's where I most often see my favorite bird, and it did not disappoint.


One of them took off while I was zoomed in on it:



Too closely zoomed in, as it turned out....


These birds have nine-foot wingspans.  So much fun to watch when they take off or land.


We also survived a week of 100+ days, every day (I think the hottest one was 108).  Thank goodness for air conditioning!

Have a fun week out there (it is now "cooling" down to the 90s).

No comments:

Post a Comment