Monday, December 24, 2018

The Beach in Winter

One day it occurred to me that my new house's main bathroom lacked a window.  This seemed odd.  The other half-bath has a window.  Most places I've lived had windows in the bathroom.  Why not this one?

I could have paid the contractor who lives next door a lot of money to put one in, but then I'd have a view of my mother's garage.  Why not have a prettier view instead?


So I found a level and some Frog Tape, and went to work.


It took about three hours to draw window frame lines that were straight.


Naturally, I wanted a view of the beach, with a lighthouse and a pelican, because hey, why not?


I gathered various reference pics of windows and beach type views, and cobbled them together.


I had to do a lot of taping and un-taping and re-taping to paint the frame and to paint inside the frame, and I think all that taping took more time than the actual painting part.


In hindsight, I wish I'd made the frame wider, but oh, well.  I'm not about to change it now.  Though I could...hm.  Maybe that could be a project for next year.


A friend suggested I add curtains -- not doing that, either. 


If I ever get tired of the beach (! as if!), I could get out the tape and paint a different scene.  For now, though, I am happy to look at this view instead of the side of a garage or a blank wall.


In other home improvement news, I did pay the contractor who lives next door to add this little fence and gate around my front porch.


I did that because of this little scamp:


Pippin is an escape artist who had squirted out the front door a couple of times and taken off, and without a front-yard fence, this was just too scary.  He is not very obedient and doesn't come when called, and I was lucky that he always ran right next door to mom's place.

He has a huge, fully fenced back yard to romp in, but no, he wants to run next door.  My fear was that one day he'd squirt out, head over there, see a squirrel or cat somewhere else, and never return.


So now there is an extra level of security, and though Pippin doesn't seem terribly pleased with it, I am delighted. 


My post next week will be the annual "Books Read" list, and then it's on to 2019.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment