Monday, December 3, 2018

Before the Big Chill

This coming week the forecast calls for highs in the 30s.  Winter is heading our way, and though I did invest in a warm winter coat, that doesn't mean I actually want to use it.  Brrrrrr!!

So this past week we mostly had temps in the low-to-mid 40s and I was willing to go out a few times with the Hounds.  I have no idea how I'm going to entertain them during the chilly days to come, although Truman is a couch potato who doesn't care if he ever moves, and Pippin enjoys being chased around the house by his human.  We shall see if that's enough.

On one of our outings we visited the Chamna Natural Preserve which is right here in Richland, a 276-acre spot alongside the Yakima River.  It has eleven miles worth of trails zig-zagging through it, and we explored about two miles worth.


There are some seriously cool trees in this place.



There were some birds about -- chickadees, White-crowned Sparrows, flickers, one Red-tailed Hawk.  And there were wigeons in the river, but they were skittish -- every time I got close enough to try taking photos, they flew away.

Possibly Pippin scared them off.

Some of the trails felt rather isolated, hemmed in by brush and trees.


Other sections felt more open.


The Hounds enjoyed exploring, and so did I.  It was a very overcast morning, and I look forward to revisiting this place in the Spring on a sunny day.


On Wednesday I hung out with the Urban Sketcher group, which met up at the non-profit Gallery at the Park.  My first effort was of a pottery display, a sketch I was not that happy about.


With only twenty minutes left, I turned around and quickly drew a display of glassware and scarves, and was a little happier with it.


During the sketch sharing, I discovered that one artist had drawn other sketchers, including ME!  I'm the one on the right, sitting on the floor.


And here is the group photo -- I'm in the middle of the seated folks.


The next day I took the Hounds out again for an early afternoon stroll at W.E. Johnson Park, also in Richland.

We had blue skies, so I was able to get some decent photos -- here is a flock of Canada Geese.



While most of this park is grasslands and trees, a small section does run along the Yakima River.


Once again, the waterfowl there all flew off at our approach.


But later I lucked out when a Ruby-crowned Kinglet popped into a tree close enough for a pic:


The Hounds found smelly stuff to roll in -- possibly not a great idea, since this park is popular with horseback riders -- who knows what they left behind.



So that's all for last week's adventures.  In home decor news, the piano arrived!


It's a Yamaha digital piano, with a terrific sound.   The hammered action feature really makes the keys feel as if they are weighted -- it's amazingly close to having an acoustic piano, at one-half to one-third the cost.


And although it was heavy, I managed to put the stand together and get the keyboard on top all by myself.  Truman did not assist in any way, though he tried.


That's it for this past week.  Stay warm out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment