Monday, June 11, 2018

The United States of Reading

I have no photos.  I did nothing all week.  I keep a daily log, so I can prove this:

Monday 
Dog walks
Grocery shopping
Visit from Michelle, Winston, and Chloe

Tuesday
Dog walks
Gardening
Lunch with neighbor

Wednesday
Dog walks
Annual physical

Thursday
Dog walks
Dog day care for Winston and Chloe
Went to local farmer's market

Friday
Dog walks
Took car in for service
Visit from Michelle, Winston, and Chloe

Saturday
Dog walks in between rain showers
Went to local farmer's market
Watched baseball games

Sunday
Dog walk at the Montlake Fill
Minor sketch outing where I drew a tree, twice.  It was okay.
Watched baseball games

See?  Nothing.  Well, okay, not entirely nothing, but not exactly thrilling adventures, either.  What can I say?  I'm retired.  I lounge a lot.

And I read a lot.  You may recall that a while back I started a personal reading challenge:  to read at least one nonfiction book (any topic) for each of the fifty U.S. states (no time limit).  I am pleased to report that I'm up to ILLINOIS.

So far I've read:

Alabama, One Big Front  Porch (Kathryn Windham)
Coming Into the Country (John McPhee; Alaska)
Going Back to Bisbee  (Richard Shelton)
Arkansas/Arkansaw (Brooks Blevins)
California's Frontier Naturalists  (Richard Beidleman)
Greetings from Colorado: Legends, Landmarks, and Lore  (J. Leacock)
Stories in Stone  (Jelle deBoer; Connecticut)
Colonial Delaware: A History  (John Munroe)
Oh, Florida!  (Craig Pittman)
Architecture of the Old South: Georgia  (Mills Lane)
Unfamiliar Fishes  (Sarah Vowell; Hawaii)
Idaha: Magnificent Wilderness  (Jeff Gnass)

I'm currently reading Chicago's Greatest Year, 1893 (Joseph Gustaitis)

Here is what I've learned thus far:

1.  Alabama folks like to sit on big porches and tell folksy tales to each other.
2.  John McPhee needed a much better editor.
3.  Arizona deserts are full of dangerous plants, and Arizona is mostly desert.
4.  Arkansas is more fun than you might think.
5.  California's frontier naturalists were, on the whole, incredibly boring people.
6.  Colorado is pretty.
7.  Connecticut has fascinating geology, none of which I cared much about.
8.  Delaware must be the dullest state in the country (though I haven't reached Rhode Island yet).
9.  I never want to visit Florida.  Ever.
10.  Georgia has pretty buildings.
11.  Hawaii was stolen from the Hawaiians!  For shame.
12.  Idaho is pretty, too.

I'm not 100% certain that this project has been all that enlightening (other than the information provided by Mr. Pittman, who explains at great length why everything in Florida is trying to kill you and how everybody who lives there is deeply disturbed in one way or another, and he lives there).

However, I am persevering!  Illinois (or rather, Chicago) in 1893 is excellent so far.  And there are nifty photographs.  So, you know, that's worth something.  I think.

Speaking of which, my apologies for the lack of photos this week.  I honestly didn't think anyone would be chomping at the bit to see say, the Fred Meyer grocery aisles, or my doctor's office, or the car service waiting room, or the inside of Thai One On.

Perhaps next week will be full of birds, dogs walking somewhere more interesting than around my neighborhood, and art!

1 comment:

  1. Thai One On LOL LOL. I like that. I was wondering why you hadn't posted much this week. Now I know!
    Our radio station used to have a little thing they did each morning called "Oh Florida" and it seems to me they might have gotten some of the info from the book you read. Those Floridians are might strange for sure!

    ReplyDelete