Wednesday, February 3, 2016

A little art and more birds

Art update:  mostly I've been going through my big pile of "how to" art books collected over the years to see if there were any techniques to try out on practice pieces.  I'd rather be out urban sketching, but I prefer sketching outside and the weather has either been too rainy or too cold for that.

One indoor location I sketched in recently was my friend Kim's house -- her cat posed on the cat tree long enough to draw:


Another thing I wanted to do was try painting a Varied Thrush in watercolor -- I had painted this bird with oils last year and wasn't entirely happy with it, so last week I tried it in watercolor and now I'm done with Varied Thrushes for a while:


Maybe I'll move on to sapsuckers.  At the Montlake Fill yesterday the Red-breasted Sapsucker was back in the alder grove:



Or I could paint Wood Ducks -- here is a pair, also from yesterday's outing:



This Bald Eagle also posed quite nicely for me yesterday:


Rain is in the forecast for the next three days.  Guess I need to keep drawing and painting indoors for now.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should definitely try a watercolor of the sapsucker. Beautiful bird!

    ReplyDelete