Monday, October 18, 2021

Let the Filming Begin!

Fourteen weeks ago, I got the idea to do a needlepoint version of the Good Omens Series 2 promo pic.  I wanted to finish it by the end of day on Sunday, October 17, which would be the day before actual filming was slated to start (which is TODAY, October 18--whee!), as a sort of artistic celebration of sorts.  I estimated it would take 350 stitches a day, every day, which was around three hours of work on a good day/easy section, and five or more hours a day on harder areas.  

There were a LOT of harder areas.

Anyway, I'm happy to say that I managed to do an average of 354 stitches a day and FINISHED it on Saturday, an entire day early.

HUZZAH!  WHOO HOO!  HOORAH AND WAHOO!!!


It's 12" x 14", worked on 14-mesh canvas with 6-strand embroidery floss.  It has 34,340 stitches.  There were a few mistakes here and there, which I had to laboriously unpick and re-stitch, and at the 3/4 point I injured the thumb that I hold the needle with, and the resulting scab kept snagging on the threads, which made things ever so much more exciting.  And I've lost track of how many dog hairs (and my own hairs) I've had to pick out.  It was HARD.  It was mind-numbingly complex.  It was beyond frustrating...but it was also incredibly rewarding.  And it looks really good.  I am pleased!

I did other things last week too and will post about that next Monday.  For now, I need to relax and not spend four hours a day stitching needlepoint.  

And I also must ponder what to do next with that time...hm....

Have a great week, and let the filming commence!


4 comments:

  1. That's impressive. And, you know, a little crazy. But also auspicious, a good omen for the show. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Groan. Thanks. I find most of the world's activities far too mundane, so I do try to add a bit of craziness to it whenever I can. As should we all.

      Delete
  2. It really does look awesome. A heck of a lot of work, but well worth it. You need to find just the perfect spot to hang it. Maybe with little funko guys underneath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent more time yesterday working on blocking, as it did get skewed from true by about 1/4". Today it's only off by about 1/8". Also spent some time ordering a custom frame (because it turns out to be 11-7/8" x 13-3/4"), with non-glare museum-quality glass and archival materials. $$$. Yay. I may have to take one of the current artworks down -- there's no room anywhere for it!

      Delete