Monday, November 16, 2020

Out and About! Well, a little bit, anyway.

 Last week it was still warm enough once in a while to go out and about.  One day, while scanning Google maps looking for someplace new to walk, I spotted this unfamiliar green space:


It had no name on the map, no indication of a parking area, no info at all.  It was in between some townhomes and part of the research area in the north of town.  So I tootled off to investigate.


It was a lovely spot.  No place to park other than the shoulder.  No signs at all.  Nothing to indicate it might be private.  So the Hounds and I explored it, and never met a single soul.


It was only about two blocks long, and there were no paved paths, but the grass was dry and we had a fine time.


So that was fun. 
Then, on another day, the forecast of cloudy all day turned out to be wrong, so I made an impromptu visit to McNary National Wildlife Refuge in search of Snow Geese.  


And I found them!


Thousands of these birds visit the refuge every Winter.


There were also quite a few Trumpeter Swans about, though too far away for photos.  
For art this past week, I did the usual sketch zoom meetings.  Our Thursday practice picture was of some extremely colorful trees:


Friday's photo was of a colorful beetle:


For my Good Omens sketch of the week, I chose this view from 1793, where Crowley rescues Aziraphale from the Bastille:


It was ever so much fun using different colors for once for their clothing.

Below is another demonstration of the magic of solvent with colored pencils.  Note the angel's coat.  In the first pic, I have colored it in carefully with various layers of magenta and burnt umber.


Then I add the solvent (baby oil!) using watercolor brushes, and the magic happens:


Such a fun process.  The key is knowing what the colors are going to do when blended, and also how much solvent to add -- the more you add, the more liquid the colored pencil becomes, and you can move it around almost like paint.  


Next, I spent a little time adjusting this drawing that I did last week:


Aziraphale tends to fade into the background in the initial version, so I added a darker background behind him, which I like better:


Now for a note about process.  When I posted the 1793 Bastille drawing to Facebook, I got this comment: "You capture the characters' personalities and hopes and dreams much more meaningfully than the picture [photo reference]."

I call that a successful drawing.  When I am doing these portraits, I'm not trying to make an exact reproduction of the photo reference--that would be tedious and boring.  I start with the photo, and I do try to get the basics drawn accurately (basic shape, features in the correct place), but then comes the artistic part, which is the fun part, where I attempt to add something of my own, and try to express something more than a simple photograph can convey.

I often alter the expressions -- here's an example:

This is the original photo ref I used for an Aziraphale portrait:


He is concerned, in this scene, about breaking Heaven's rules for his own benefit, and about putting Crowley in a potentially harmful situation by doing so.  I wanted him to look softer and more wistful while still a little concerned.  This is what I drew:


Sometimes I also want to add more of the features than are seen in the photo ref.  In the example below, you can't see much of Crowley's eyes at all.  Right before this scene, he's been trying to convince Aziraphale to help him stop the coming Armageddon, and now he's waiting to make his next argument, no doubt wondering what he can try now.


So when I drew him, I made sure the eyes were visible, and that his expression was clearer overall.


That's the thing I enjoy about doing these drawings -- trying to bring to the page my own sense of who the characters are and what they're feeling.  And I'm trying to take a static photograph and bring it to life.  

All that being said, my next project is to draw Crowley's 1926 Bentley...which I'm pretty sure will just look like a car and not have any expressive feelings to convey--though you never know!

Finally, this past week's dachshund pics come from Sunday morning on the sofa, a day of brilliant sunshine:




Have a wonderful week, and stay safe out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment