Tuesday, October 25, 2016

At Green Lake with the Urban Sketchers

The monthly Seattle Urban Sketchers meeting was held last Sunday in the Green Lake neighborhood.  We met up in a small commercial district a couple of blocks from the park with the idea that if it rained or was too cold, there were indoor locations to draw in.

Luckily, this didn't happen.  The sun came out, the day warmed up, and it was perfect sketching weather outdoors.  We broke up to go our separate ways, and I headed over to the park.

The first view that caught my eye was from just inside Green Lake Park looking back towards the commercial district.



It was such a nice day that I decided to walk around the lake.  The sketching sessions last two-and-a-half hours, so I figured if it took me an hour to walk the 2.8 miles around the lake, I'd still have plenty of drawing time left over.

I didn't get very far before spotting this arch, and I just had to do a quick study of it.



Then I headed out in earnest for a stroll around Green Lake, where I admired the ducks (still mostly Mallards, though a few Common Mergansers have turned up), and a fair number of coots.

It wound up taking 50 minutes to get around the lake, and when I got back to my starting point, I found this lovely view.


But I had only ten minutes left before I needed to head back to the meeting spot (having spent a lot of time on that first drawing, and also stopping to eat my lunch), so I just did a very quick sketch.


The sketchers spread out their work in a handy plaza, and we checked out what other people drew and chatted a bit -- there are quite a few regulars I've gotten to know, and it is a very congenial group.


There are a lot of talented folks in the group!


A fun outing all round!


No comments:

Post a Comment