Thursday, March 5, 2015

Art: Latest sketches

Recently I had to test a shuttle run from the UW to a location near Lake Union, and while waiting for the return shuttle, I darted over to the marina to quickly sketch the biggest boat there:


I now keep portable sketching supply kits at both home and at work, because you never know when an opportunity will arise.

Yesterday, for instance, I wandered down to the canal behind my office building at lunch time, and found a few daffodils:


Next, I found a bench from which to sketch another bench, a brick wall, and a tree which overlooked the path and the canal:


Some sketchers use very small sketch pads and carry that and a pen in cargo pants, and are ready to draw anytime, anywhere.  I may reach that point soon, as I'm really enjoying this.

I also keep a small watercolor palette, brushes, pens, and paper in my office, where I have a small table I can spread art stuff on.  We are encouraged to take 5 to 10 minute breaks regularly from staring at our computers, and I use those breaks to work on paintings, such as this Lincoln's Sparrow:


I've been fitting in art wherever and whenever I can -- why, sometimes I even paint at my art desk at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment