Monday, January 11, 2021

Fun with Home Decor

 I am always looking for ways to make my home more interesting, and recently decided the light switch plate covers were boing.  So that obviously required changing.

The old plate covers are perfectly nice, and their style goes with the closet and room doors, but still -- BORING:  


Look at the fabulous ones I found:


I got two of these, to replace the rocker switch covers in the kitchen and dining room.  They make me very happy.


I have three more coming soon, in a different style, for one of the bedrooms and one of the bathrooms.

When I posted the above pics to Facebook, my friend Mary said she had replaced hers by way of decoupage.  OOH.  THAT gave me ideas.  All I needed was the right photo for one of the older, flip-switch plate covers.  

And I found the PERFECT one:


Aziraphale, the angel from Good Omens, looks so wonderfully startled and confused in this picture, which delightfully expresses his feelings about suddenly acquiring a new nose:


So that worked out well.

The rest of the plate covers are rocker switches with grooved surfaces, which don't work well with decoupage, so they will have to be replaced with store-bought ones.  Oh, well.  At least I have one fun cover.

The Zoom sketch group met twice last week, as usual.  We did some desert rocks, which I did not like, and did not do all that great a drawing of, but oh well.  It's just for practice.


The second picture was of a snowy section of Hadrian's wall, which I also had some trouble with, but I like the result better than the first effort.


And last, but hardly least, the Hounds got a good walk in on one of the warmer days (it's been quite nice for Winter, in the mid-to-high 40s).


I found a new trail that I like a lot.  We've been to this area before--it's called Columbia Point, a triangular section of natural habitat jutting into the river.  But I stuck to the wider trails or paved trails on previous visits, and didn't find them all that exciting.


But on this visit, I noticed an offshoot trail from the main one, which was narrower, and which ran alongside the river instead of through the middle of the sagebrush.


It was lovely, and out of the way, and we had it completely to ourselves.  It was short, though--only a quarter mile or so.  It ended at this viewpoint:


There were hundreds of wigeons here.


This is what most of the area looks like--a huge triangle of sagebrush:


We much preferred the riverside trail.  I'll definitely be back.

That's all for this week.

Stay safe and sane out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment