Monday, November 12, 2018

Roadside Attractions

Last week I went venturing to parts unknown, and as usual, had a grand time.  On Monday I decided to explore Clover Island, a tiny speck of land in Kennewick which boasts a hotel, marina, restaurant, and a lighthouse.

I had hoped to do some sketching, but the weather did not cooperate -- there was no rain in the forecast, yet it was sprinkling when I got there.


So I drove up and down the short island looking at the sculptures instead.  This one is "The Call of the River" in honor of early pioneers:


And this one is "Mother of Reinvention II" and it's interactive -- you can move it to get different views.

And this lovely rendition of two eagles fighting over a salmon is titled "Fair Game":


As you can tell, the clouds departed, and rain stopped, and the sun appeared.  I could have sketched the lighthouse on the island, but I decided to take the Hounds for a walk instead.


We found a trail on the mainland side.


There were Great Blue Herons everywhere -- I saw six in this one spot, but could fit only three into the photo:


We had a very pleasant stroll:



More good birds appeared -- here's a female Belted Kingfisher:


And a Horned Grebe diving:



And a Western Grebe taking a rest:


And one not taking a rest:

This spot also turned out to be good for Great Egrets -- I spied at least four flying around.



The Hounds were happy to be out and about.


However, the Hounds were not so happy on Friday, when I opted to leave them at home.  That's because my outing that day included eating and shopping.  But first, it involved dinosaurs.


The small town of Granger, WA, about fifty miles from the Tri-Cities, is infested with dinosaurs.


Back in the 1990s, the town's public works department decided to make a dinosaur statue, just because it could.  The people liked it, so they made more. 


And more....

They put most of them up in a public park, and added a store/food stand, and public restrooms inside a volcano.  Sadly, this was closed for the season and no one was about -- I can imagine it is hopping in the summer time.



There are also statues placed randomly about the town.


This one is in front of the police station:


And here is a lovely family grouping in another park:


I drove up there with my friend Beckie, and though it was a bit chilly, we had a fabulous time.  After taking the freeway there, we drove the old back road highways back, taking a leisurely tour of the small towns along the way.  We stopped for lunch at  El Conquistador restaurant in Sunnyside, and at the 14 Hands winery in Prosser, and a thrift store in West Richland before heading homeward.

Speaking of home...I have been decorating!


And I've been acquiring new furniture, which of course, is really owned by the Hounds:


Now I need to get some art on the walls.  I'm working on that -- stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment