Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Dog and Birds in the Sunshine

First off, we had snow!  On Monday morning we had a very light snow shower for about fifteen minutes, and it melted as soon as it hit the ground.  Truman was terribly unimpressed.






More snow is predicted for Thursday.  We shall see.

The birds continue to make good use of the feeder --  here is a Red-breasted Nuthatch (front) with a Dark-eyed Junco behind.


I've had a Chestnut-backed Chickadee at the feeder recently, but the chickadees zip in and out so quickly that I haven't been able to snap a good photo.  This is the best I could manage:



On Tuesday it was SUNNY!!!  If the sky is blue, I have to get outside, even if it is chilly, which it certainly was.  I wrapped Truman up in a blanket inside his stroller and off we went on an impromptu visit to the UW campus.


We strolled around the waterfront area.


I've been reading The Boys in the Boat (highly recommended), about the UW Husky rowing team's 1936 Olympics gold-medal victory, and I popped into the Conibear Shell House, where The Boat in question hangs from the ceiling of the dining hall.


Then Truman and I tootled off to the back side of the Montlake Fill, where this heron kept watch:


I was pleased to see a good turnout of Buffleheads, one of my favorite winter visitors:



Truman got out and walked for a while, though when I stopped too long to admire the ducks, he let me know that it was time to leave because he was bored:


So we returned home, where I made a nice relaxing cup of cocoa, and wrapped Christmas presents, and watched the bird feeder, and read more of The Boys in the Boat, and worked on my needlepoint.

Not a bad way to spend a sunny wintry day.

1 comment:

  1. We had a little more snow that you yesterday. It snowed most of the morning but not much of it stuck and by noon it was over with and mostly gone. This is the kind of snow I like.

    It's awesome to see the hanging boat! That was such a good book. I really enjoyed it a lot. Being a Washingtonian made it a little more special I think.

    Hope the good weather holds for awhile!

    ReplyDelete