Monday, March 29, 2021

Getting Outside While We Can

 High winds hit here on Sunday, and are forecast to continue today, with gusts up to FIFTY mph (!).  It is often quite windy here, especially in the Spring, so whenever it is less than 10mph, I try to get out and about as much as possible.


On one non-blustery day we went to my favorite walking spot, the Columbia Point natural area, which Truman strongly objects to as he cannot use his stroller there, and he hates walking the whole way out and back unassisted, poor boy.


Still, I make him go once a week or so, as it's good for him -- he needs to lose a few pounds.


It is truly a lovely spot, and we had just missed a bit of rain, so the clouds were especially fine.



There are lots of trees in this spot that always look a bit creepy to me, kind of dark and barren and gnarled.


We had a creepy tree for one of our Zoom sketch sessions last week, much weirder than the ones at Columbia Point -- more like something out of the Wizard of Oz:


I did that painting digitally using Adobe Fresco.  

We also drew a vivid set of houses from the Venetian isle of Burano, which I did non-digitally using watercolor, though I wasn't terribly happy with the results.  Too brightly colored for my tastes.


Garish!

On another non-blustery day, I took the Hounds to McNary National Wildlife Refuge just for a change of pace, and though I knew the Snow Geese were probably still around, I had no intention of looking for them...but as it happened, I saw a large flock far off in the distance as I pulled into the parking lot.

One minute later, as I was getting Truman's precious stroller set up, a raptor descended on the geese, sending into frenzied flight.  



The Hounds had to wait in the car while I snapped away.



The raptor (it looked to be a Red-tailed Hawk) gave up after five minutes, and the geese settled down, so we were then able to get our two-mile walk in.




Back at the parking lot, I took a couple more pics of the Snow Geese, and called it good.



Our final non-blustery outing of any significance was to a park in Kennewick where a group called the Tri-City Wiener Walkers was to meet up.  We had gone to a walk with them the previous Saturday and enjoyed it, so we tried again.  I think around eight people (and a dozen or so dachshunds) were at the first meeting, but at this second one, only three (including me) turned up (though with a total of six wieners).


It was a lovely day, so we walked all round the park anyway, and the Hounds seemed to be having an okay time.


But I was rather disappointed, as I had discovered after last Saturday's walk that one of the people there was a Good Omens fan.  I had not spoken with her, and was looking forward to chatting this time, but she did not turn up.  Bummer!


Well, the group leader said they would try again next Saturday, and hope for more participation.  I shall try again, and hope to see the Good Omens person there.  


Still no word on my garden landscaping plan -- I've been waiting three weeks now for bids from two different companies.  Phone calls and whining are going to take place today!

Have a great week, and don't let the winds blow you away out there!






2 comments:

  1. I love the clouds in the Columbia Point photos--and I'm okay with the garish colors of Burano--though I'd probably get tired of living next door to that pink house; I assume I'd be in the very skinny green one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the green one too but if you lived in the pink one, you wouldn't have to see it except going in and out -- you'd be looking at the green or yellow one or at the canal, right? So maybe that's the one to have!

      Delete