Monday, January 18, 2021

Take Last Week's Post and Repeat

 Sometime I may be able to do something different than draw stuff, walk the dogs, and decorate my home, but last week was not that week.

No, I did the same thing as the week before, right down to replacing light switch plate covers.

Here is the boring, ordinary style of plate cover in the main bathroom:


And here is the charming and colorful style of plate cover now in place:



Sadly, most of the switches in the house are of the "rocker" type, which take up too much of the cover's decorative space, such as this one in the library:


It is most vexing!  However, I did manage to find a cover that worked for this room, which is decorated with a lot of beach-themed stuff (including lighthouses):


So that was fun.

Speaking of lighthouses, one of our Zoom sketch practice drawings was of a lighthouse!  It was not an ideal picture to draw from, as the lighthouse was small, and there were far too many complex rocks, but I did my best (using ink and watercolor):


We have been taking more time with our Zoom meetings lately -- they used to be one hour, but now we tend to go for 90 minutes, which is good, because we've often chosen complex reference photos lately.

This is the other drawing we did -- I definitely needed the entire hour and a half to render this street scene (using ink and colored pencils):


And here it is after adding the colored pencil:


And finally, no week would be complete without a cute dachshund pic.  This is Truman and Pippin lounging on the chaise in the library:


This is our favorite spot in the afternoons, when I like to get a bit of reading in.  I'm determined to improve my book reading this year, having read only a pathetic 46 books last year (about half of a typical year's total).  So far, so good--I've read seven books this year. 

I like to have one work of fiction and one of nonfiction (often two) going at the same time.  I like to read nonfiction during the day and fiction in the evening.  My current books are The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (I've been rereading the whole Holmes canon), and Leonardo da Vinci, a recent (2017) biography by Walter Isaacson which is excellent.

That's all for now -- have a lovely week!

2 comments:

  1. Those mosaic covers are very nice indeed. You can replace the rocker switches with regular on/off switches, you know. A high quality light switch costs about $2.00! Mary and I replaced all the switch plates and outlet covers within the first year of moving in. I don't know why anyone would want those plain white plastic ones.

    I just read a Christie novel. I was disappointed to discover that it had no Poirot, but it was pretty good anyway. I'm also reading Ovid and Gibbon and another book about efficient musical instrument practice. I think last year I read all the Holmes I could get my hands on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspected that I could replace the rocker switches, but their style does match the closet doors and I don't notice most of them, so decided to focus on the most-used ones. I'm impressed that you did the outlet covers, too.

      Christie is fairly reliable even without her standard sleuths. Doyle is even more reliable, if you ask me, though there are a few clunkers in the canon here and there.

      I'm currently reading a 2017 biography of da Vinci (by Walter Isaacson) that is excellent stuff. I loved the Metamorphoses. Never had any luck getting into Gibbon. I engage in profoundly inefficient musical instrument practice, ever since the music store where I took my youthful piano lessons burned down, and the instructor moved to a studio that was too far for my parents to drive. Clearly, a brilliant concert career was nipped in the bud!

      Delete