Monday, September 7, 2020

More of the Same

 Yes, I drew another Good Omens picture.  What can I say -- I'm a fan. The show's visuals are quite fun, and a lot different from drawing Yet Another Tree (which is what we often do in our group Zoom sketch get-togethers).  Not that there's anything wrong with trees, mind.  It's just sometimes I like to try something more challenging.

This past week's challenge was really dark values.  The reference photo comes from a scene in which Crowley tries to think of somewhere to go in order to escape the coming Apocalypse.  He holds a globe miraculously in midair, and looks rather unhappy as he realizes that no place on Earth will be safe.


I decided it might be easier to fill in all that background color if I put watercolor washes down first as a base layer before putting the colored pencil on top, and that was indeed a time-saver.  After laying down the watercolor, everywhere except the face, I tackled the portrait with pencils.


ABOVE is the face before adding solvent to blend the colored pencils, and BELOW is after adding solvent.


Then I worked colored pencil over the entire piece.  That blue-gray wall color required three different colors blended together.  Fairly successful, all in all.


The only other things I drew last week were...trees.
This doesn't look a lot like a tree, which is because it's a close-up of bark.  I found it very meditative to draw.


The other photo we chose to work from during our Zoom group sketch meetup was of a "Quiver Tree" from Africa, shot at a foreshortened angle.


Even though I am a bit tired of drawing trees, this one was really cool, and fun to draw.  

That's all from here.  Have a great week wherever you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment