Monday, September 10, 2018

Down by the River

Our new home town has a river running through it -- the mighty Columbia, which rolls on and on.


There is a riverfront trail that stretches for seven miles.  The Hounds and I have been exploring different sections.



And of course, there has been wading.


This spot was particularly lovely, so I paused for a while to do a sketch.




Another day, another section of the trail, and a visit to one of the parks alongside it:




There are plenty of benches for rest stops.


This partially uprooted tree along the river bank made for a fun drawing challenge:


The Hounds did not dive off the dock here, though they thought about it.


The main park along the trail has docks, swimming areas, kayak rentals and classes, and in the summer there are riverboats that stop there.




There are swinging seats in this park, which are ever so relaxing.



Of course, it hasn't been All River All the Time.  One morning we ventured out to the Park at the Lakes in West Richland, and along the way I spotted this sign:


How wonderful that they named a street after my dog.

I did some more sketching there:


And of course, there has also been birding -- or at least, an attempt at birding.  This is W.E. Johnson Park, which is on the Washington State Birding Trail as a designated spot for good birds:


It has a 3-mile loop trail through brush and trees, and I'm sure it's good at certain times of the year, because I've birded there before and seen many wonderful avian critters.  But apparently I chose the wrong day, because the birds were few and far between, or flying far away, or doing a great job of hiding in the brush.

I did get a pic of a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow before it skittered off to hide in the brush:


And there were several cooperative Mourning Doves hanging about:


After being frustrated by several birds that flew overhead before I could snap their picture, I took to taking photos of Things That Were Not Birds, such as landscape:


And equestrians:


In fact, this park is apparently quite popular with horseback riders, as there were large piles of horse droppings all over the trail, which made my outing slightly less than enchanting.

I also snapped a few insects -- they turned out to be more cooperative than the birds.  And then I used my brand new copy of Pacific Northwest Insects by Merrill Peterson (which I helped to proofread) to identify them.  I'm pretty sure this is a Small Wood-nymph Butterfly:


And this might be a Western Banded Skipper moth, or not, but it is at least some kind of skipper moth:



And here are three of those little skipper moths being photobombed by a Bluet damselfly:


So there may not have been many birds, but the insect life was certainly educational.

Meanwhile, the house-hunting forays continue -- I've seen quite a few now, and some were pretty darn interesting.  My favorite so far was the one built in 1964 that hadn't changed much since then -- it was wallpapered within an inch of its life, including a living room decked out with Asian landscape-and-pagoda paper that was fabulous to behold.  The kitchen had a toaster that pulled out from inside the wall, and cookbook-holders that pulled down from beneath the cabinets.  The master bath had a cathedral ceiling with skylight and a chandelier.  Wow.

Check it out:



This is the downstairs kitchen -- the upstairs one was a lot bigger.


Bathroom!




I loved it.  However, it was 2150sf and near the tippy top of my price range.  A friendly neighbor pointed out that I could rent out the basement as it had a kitchen, bath, living room, two bedrooms, and a separate entrance, but the whole place needed work and it was a bit too much.  Loads of fun to look at, though. 

So the search shall continue -- stay tuned for the regularly scheduled Monday updates!

1 comment:

  1. I've seen all this stuff on Facebook so I'm just commenting to bug you to update your profile LOL.

    ReplyDelete