Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Head In the Clouds

I'm currently having great fun reading The Cloudspotter's Guide: the Science, History, and Culture of Clouds by Gavin Pretor-Pinney (2006) which is delightful and funny and informative all at the same time.  Who knew?  The author founded the Cloud Appreciation Society, whose manifesto includes such sentiments as:

We believe that clouds are unjustly maligned and that life would be immeasurably poorer without them.

We pledge to fight "blue-sky thinking" wherever we find it.  Life would be dull if we had to look up at cloudless monotony day after day.

They are for dreamers and their contemplation benefits the soul.  Indeed, all who consider the shapes they see in them will save on psychoanalysis bills.

The Society's web site has a lovely photo archive, too.  I just sent them a photo of an odd cloud formation I saw a few years back:
It was a wild formation that covered the sky and swirled madly, changing second by second.  I looked through the Cloud Appreciation Society web site's information on various cloud types but couldn't quite figure out what this one was, so I am hoping they will be able to tell me.  I've never seen anything like it before or since.

I hope you are all finding fun books to read, too!


1 comment:

  1. When I lived in the Midwest, we'd call that a "tornado sky" for good reason. Not that we get tornadoes in Seattle.

    As the Doctor might say, clouds are cool. I have long had a children's story kicking around in the back of my mind about a family who are responsible for the manufacture of clouds in the PNW. I read up on clouds to prepare for the writing, which I never got around to because I couldn't figure out how the story ends.

    ~scott gf bailey

    ReplyDelete